What says Summer better than a picnic or barbecue? Old Fashion Potato Salad…you know…the kind that Grandma use to make! Well that is exactly what we have for you today…only this one has a little bit extra…a healthy twist!
I so loved potato salad when I was a kid and when I had my own family of course I made that delicious blend my Mom always served up for me and my Dad for them. Only I made a few healthier changes.
Mayo is scrumptious but sometimes a bit heavy! Potatoes are fabulous but I wanted to add a bit of veg in an unexpected place!
So I lightened up the dressing and added a combination of yummy vegetables to the Potato Salad and it was just what I was looking for and the family agrees. It has all that old fashion goodness…just a bit lighter and a bit more healthy. Now the challenge would be to make a no calorie potato salad…wouldn’t that be amazing.
3 pounds of small red potatoes
1/2 cup of a good mayonaise
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of plain Greek yougurt
1/4 cup of buttermilk (optional)
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard or your favorite mustard
1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 cup of fresh chopped parsley (save some to garnish with)
1 teaspoon of paprika
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup of peas (defrosted frozen peas are just fabulous)
1 cup of finely chopped celery
1 cup of finely chopped Scallions (green and whites)
1 and 1/2 cup of grate carrots
1 cup of small steamed broccoli florets
1 cup of sweet red peppers chopped small
1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes chopped nice and small
4 chopped hard boiled eggs
1. Scrub your potatoes and leave the skins on…Cook in boiling water till fork tender.
2. Drain…cool and cut the potatoes into bite size slices.
3. Place all of the potatoes into a large mixing bowl along with all of the veggies.
4. Mix the mayo, sour cream, Greek yogurt, mustard, vinegar, sugar, pickle relish, salt and pepper, parsley and paprika together until nice and creamy.
5. Pour all of the dressing on top of the potato and veggie mixture and toss until everything is coated and yummy.
6. Taste once again to see if you need more seasonings…if you have some fresh dill…a tablespoon or 2 would be wonderful.
7. If you feel as though you need a bit more dressing…add a little bit of the mayo, sour cream and yogurt in equal parts and add it.
8. Garnish with fresh parsley.
9. It’s ready to serve!
PLEASE NOTE: You can add any veggies that you and your family enjoy…you can leave out any of the above veggies and just use the base for the potato salad and it will be wonderful. We just really enjoy it loaded and sure hope you do too! Never hesitate to add a bit more of something that you love…just do it in tiny increments because you can always add…but you can’t take away : ) Enjoy…just like Mom and Grandma use to make…well almost! Believe me you will appreciate it being a bit lighter! Try the same dressing with a pound of macaroni…YUM!