What do you think of when you think of Cherry Pie? A Summer time barbeque? Maybe a Fourth of July Party? Do you envision some lattice crust on top? Well I remember those little half moon cherry pies in the glassine wrapper that I always loved! Well it looks like my son’s fried was thinking of those yummy little pieces tucked in that waxy little package the other day so he ran to his super market and found everything but. So he bought a bunch of those tasty little treats but he didn’t get his cherry pie pockets. Well I came up with the solution that would take care of that craving…Quick and Easy Cherry Pie Pockets! Talk about a perfect dessert for all those outside parties and barbeques…they are quick and easy…you don’t have to cut them…they are hand held and delicious! Oh…and they are cute too.
So if you are craving a sweet sugar sprinkled crust…
little pockets of yum with a bit of cherry goo oozing out…
a dessert or treat that everyone can help themselves to…
then you are going to want to make these tasty little Quick and Easy Cherry Pie Pockets!
Your favorite pie crust recipe or if you want to make this lightening quick and easy…pick up a box of the prepared pie crust that is available in your Grocery Store. (I am someone that loves homemade but to be dead honest with you…for these…the pre-made crust is perfect and no one is going to tell the difference!
1 can of prepared cherry pie (told you this was easy)
2-3 tablespoons of butter to baste the crust
1/4 cup of granulated sugar for dusting the crust
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
If you want to make Cherry Cheese Cake Pie Pockets you will need:
1 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1. I used a 4 inch round cookie cutter…or you could cut 4 inch squares (using the prepared crust this made approximately 18-22 pies.
2. If you are making the cheese cake version…place your cream cheese in a bowl…add the confectioners sugar and the vanilla…with a fork…hand whip it till it is combined and smooth (you don’t even need to dirty the mixer)
3. Open up your cherries
4. Place a small 1/2 teaspoon or a little more of the cream cheese mixture in the middle of the circle and spread it a little bit.
5. Then place about 3 cherries and a bit of the goo right on top of the cream cheese and then fold the crust over and seal with a fork.
6. Now brush the crusts with a bit of melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Place the pies on a cookie sheet with parchment paper
8. Put a tiny little slit on the top
9. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 or until golden brown.
10. Time to eat!!!
11. Pile them up in a basket or pie tin and serve : )
Oh yes…Sean got his Cherry Pie Fix and is now ready for an apple version : ) Wait until you see what we made for his doggie! ENJOY!