Don’t you just love a delicious basket filled with crispy and gooey Homemade Mozzarella Sticks! I know my family always goes crazy for them! The kind you buy in the box or bag are ok sometimes but there is nothing like homemade ones…really…nothing like them! I have tried many different combinations of things and finally I hit the one that is perfect for us! It is cheesy…crispy…flavorful and so tasty. Oh and did I mention…they are really pretty quick and easy to make!
These make a perfect side dish…an ooooey gooey snack while watching a game…
and they are the perfect party food!
Now let me share with you the recipe that we love!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
3/4 cups of Italian Panko Crumb (or plain with your own Italian Seasoning)
1/2 cup of Regular Italian bread crumbs
1 cup of freshly grated cheese (I use Pecorino Romano…but any delicious grated cheese is perfect)
1 cup of seasoned flour (1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of light buttermilk
1/2 cup of milk
1 pound block of Mozzarella Cheese (whole or part skim)
Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
We are going to create a dredging station now!
1. First combine the two bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp of salt and the grated cheese and mix well in a bowl
2. Combine your flour and seasoning together in another bowl
3. Now crack your eggs…beat them well…then add the buttermilk and combine till smooth.
4. Cut your block of cheese in 8 slices and then cut those pieces in half lengthwise …you will have 16 pieces
5. Now it is time to coat…Dip the cheese into the seasoned flour…then the egg and buttermilk mixture and then the bread crumbs then repeat the same 3 steps. (No it will not be too thick …really : )
6. Now this is an important step…it will still work if you don’t but this makes them better…place the sticks in the freezer just for 1/2 hour before you fry them.
7. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat or if you have a deep fryer…that’s great too!
8. Work these in batches…you never want to cram a lot in the pan…they work better like 4 at a time…they take approximately 1 minute per side or until golden brown…maybe a few seconds longer.
9. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Just so you know…these freeze perfectly!
We really enjoy these with Marinara Sauce…Pink Vodka Sauce …Alfredo Sauce and Ranch Dressing is fabulous for a little bit something different!
(You can also bake these if you would like but I have to tell you that they are not as crunchy…but still delicious. Just place the sticks on a baking sheet …brush them with olive oil and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees)
So there you have it! You are going to love these so much! Keep an eye out for more Italian Recipes!