Looking for some Asian Fusion? How about Pizza Wontons to go? These are so simple to make and they are sooooooooo delicious! They give you a satisfying crunch and then an ooey gooey pizza center that will simply make you happy! Move over pizza rolls..there is a new snack in town. These would be perfect to serve just about any time and fabulous for the big game too!
You know what else is great about these? They are SIMPLE!!! With a few ingredients you have a yummy appetizer…snack or side dish!
To be honest with you…I didn’t set out to make Pizza Wontons…I was going to make Pizza Balls…but they just didn’t go as plan…they had to be much to large but I was determined to do a fun pizza snack and I remembered I had wonton wrappers! Viola…it was exactly what I was looking for!
So we’ve got CRUNCH and OOOOEY…GOOEY!!!! Oh and by the way…the “hot pocket” rule goes for these tasty little treats…let it cool for 2 minutes before eating it : )
- 30 wonton wrappers (you might need a few more depending on how you fill them)
- 1½ cups of your favorite marinara sauce (preferably on the thicker side)
- 1 pound of mozzarella diced in to tiny cubes
- S&P to taste
- Canola Oil for frying (You should have at least 2½ inches of oil in your pan.) If you have a deep fryer that would be perfect.
- Scallions...fresh herbs and grated cheese for garnish
- Mix you marinara sauce with the pound of tiny cubes of mozzarella...add more sauce if needed. Your mixture should be thick...it should be the consistency of a filling.
- Open up your wonton wrappers and cover them with a damp cloth.
- Place a bit of water in a little bowl to use to wet the edges of the wonton wrappers.
- Take a wonton wrapper and lie it flat on a board. Then wet your fingers and fun it around the entire edge of the wonton.
- Quickly spoon a teaspoon of the filling in the center (do not over fill)
- Fold the wonton over into the shape of a triangle and press till sealed.
- You can leave then in triangles or add the extra fold by wetting the two furthest tips of the wonton and then bringing them together and press. It's that simple! Repeat till all of them are completed.
- Time to fry. Bring your oil up to 350/375 degrees.
- Fry in batches until golden brown which is approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Removed from the oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with your garnish or just serve up as is!
So there you have it. You are going to love this treat. After you make these…experiment with all kind of fillings…the sky is the limit!