Mahatma Gandhi once said: ‘The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” Come and see how you can Help a Good Cause!
This is Georgia and Alie…our two little adopted Chiweenies. The newest members of our family!
‘When I look into the eyes of an animal, I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.’ A.D Williams
My friends, I know this is the time when you tune in and there are new DIY Ideas and tutorials ….pretty Home Decor Projects…. delicious Food Posts … Free Printables and everything in between but today I am sharing a cause near and dear to my heart and to my families hearts…Helping ANIMALS! I really try to keep things very upbeat on the blog and I don’t ever want to make you sad and I am not going to do that today…I just want to talk to you about maybe lending a helping paw in your own way. There are so many homeless animals in this country and the world. Many are in shelters that are crowded and some have to provide for their own shelter. I am of the belief that with just a little help from everyone a happy life for these precious pets can be realized. I dream of helping them all…building wonderful Shelters to take care of them till they can ALL find forever homes. Treating them with the love and respect they deserve! I hope I live long enough to see this dream happen! Stay tuned for some fun projects we are coming up with to help in the upcoming year!!!
I know that our lives have been so enriched by our little furry family members. We have a little band of angels (Skippy, Sherlock, Rusty, Beau, Mr. Jiggs, Pops and Basil) that look over us every day and our two little girls that occupy the couch watching Disney Shows in piles of soft quilts when they are not zooming around the house or chewing on a toy! You know…the life they deserve : ) That’s my wish for them all. I know you are asking what can I do to help. Well there are so many things you can do and I put together a little list that you might want to check out…
Our band of Angels
copyright…not to be copied in any form
Know that any donation to any Animal Organization and of course your Local Shelter makes a different. $1 can make a big difference.
You can run a Animal Food Drive with your children at School. This is something that I have done many times. Arrange it with the Principal and Teachers and wait until you see what happens (AMAZING)! If you are planning on doing one and need any kind of help or ideas…feel free to email me at TheCottageMarket@gmailcom any time!
Donate Food and Supplies to your Local Shelter. Did you know that most Shelters have a Wish List filled with all kinds of things that they need. By donating just one thing on that list will lend a helping paw. Here is a sample wish list from my Shelter: Food Wet & Dry Grain Free Dog Food, Dry Grain Free Kitten & Cat Food, Kitten Formula, bottles & Nipples, Beef Hot Dogs, Creamy Peanut Butter. Toys (Kongs), Supplies: Paper Towels, Cotton Balls, Q-Tips, Rubbing Alcohol, Peroxide, Hand Soap, Sanitizer, Disposable Gloves, Windex, Lysol and all animal safe cleaners. Frontline for Dogs & Cats, Animal Shampoo (Regular and Flea), Puppias, Leashes, to Petco, Costco, PetSmart or your favorite Grocery Store) Shelters ALWAYS need BLANKETS and TOWELS…ALWAYS!!! New or Used and washed : )
You can volunteer at your Local Shelter as a Dog Walker or Play with the Cats and many other useful activities like photographing the pups and kitties…one picture can save save a life!
You can purchase gifts for your family and friends that give back like Rescue Calendars or you can donate to your favorite charities in your family or friends name.
Then there is the BIGGY…Opting to ADOPT…the best gift if the world!!! Just be sure you are ready for a life time commitment and make sure you are ready to be loved unconditionally!!!
There are so many more things you can do but remember…no matter how BIG or Small…it all makes a HUGE difference. So during this time of giving and love and any time of the year…open your hearts and lend a helping paw : )
Did you know when you buy stuff on Amazon…you can register your favorite charity on SmileAmazon and whenever you make a purchase (it’s the same as the real Amazon) a portion goes to your favorite charity. You are not charged more …it’s a WIN WIN!!! I just found that out a few months ago and now I do it all the time! Try it and help out your favorite Charity!
With new laws being passed to protect animals from cruelty, people becoming aware of animal safe products and taking responsibility to stay away from products tested on animals… with the help of many Animal Protection Agencies like the ASPCA…The Humane Society and more Puppy Mill Raids are happening… Dog Fighting Rings are being busted and so much more and with your help…we can SAVE THEM ALL!
I hope that this little post might make you think about lending a helping paw this Holiday Season and this Brand New Upcoming Year. You won’t believe what a difference you can make. My family is really involved in our Local Shelter and getting ready to stuff all of the pet’s stockings with toys and treats (cats and dogs) it’s the best Christmas gift we can give each other. We do it in memory of our angels and because of our pure love for animals. Share the LOVE : ) There are tons of puppy and kitty kisses in it for you!
Check out HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS over at The ASPCA it is such a great list to keep your pets safe during this hectic yet joyous Season…here are just a few examples:
The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities. As you gear up for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet’s eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. Also, please be sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations.
Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations
- Oh, Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.
- Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
- Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
- That Holiday Glow: Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
- Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
- Head over to the ASPCA for more HELPFUL Tips like Foods Not To Feed and Keeping your pets Calm and Safe! One big tip I am going to share is keep the RIBBONS away from your pets!!!
Love the entire Cammarata Family and Georgia and Alie are sending you tons of doggy KISSES and say thank you for helping all their friends!