You know a good soup is the ultimate comfort food. Am I wrong? For me, a delicious soul-warming soup is a perfect remedy for just about anything. The soup, in general, gets a bad rap for being the kind of food you only eat when you’re sick. But I love a piping hot bowl of delicious soup when I am the picture of health too. So, if you love soup like I love soup then our Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato + Roasted Sweet Corn Soup is the ticket to feeling safe, loved, and well-fed!
Okay, let’s talk butternut squash. Usually, a butternut squash soup is a bit too sweet for me, so this version is more savory and less sweet than the typically demonstrated recipe of butternut squash soup. Is that okay? I hope so ’cause we’re bucking tradition. Ready? Here we go!
Then we went ahead and added one of my favorite rustic tubers, sweet potatoes. For the last few years, I have come to approach sweet potatoes a bit differently. I no longer utilize them exclusively sprinkled with brown sugar, bathed in maple syrup, and festooned with marshmallows. Sweet potatoes have grown up and rightfully deserve their savory just due! So, I’ve been adding sweet potatoes to my garlic mashed potatoes, piling them with rich, sweet cream butter, green onion, mushrooms, and even my favorite cheeses pair well with the rich natural creaminess of sweet potatoes.
Now, how about this pan-roasted fresh off of the cob sweet corn? This addition to the recipe works on a couple of different levels. First, we love how the sunshiny color of the sweet corn contrasts well the bucolic and orangey shade of the soup. Plus, the kernels of sweet corn add yet another welcome texture to the overall experience. Dotted with sunshine strewn upon the orange gleam of savory soup perfection. Yes, that’s about right!
Finally, we’ve arrived at one of my favorite things about this soup. These pita bread pan-toasted croutons and one of my new favorite things. You may remember them when they first appeared in our yummy Instant Pot Potato + Broccoli Soup! Those suckers were so maddeningly good we brought them back for an encore!
Let us know what you think. And please enjoy this wonderfully delicious soup!
- 1 butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, ran through a garlic press
- ½ stick of unsalted butter
- 32 ounce vegetable stock
- McCormick Chipotle sea Salt
- McCormick freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 3-6 mini pita bread pockets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Press the Sauté function,
- When the oil is hot, sautét the butternut squash and sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Add a few turns each of the Chipotle sea salt and freshly ground black peppercorns.
- When the squash and potatoes are a bit brown add ½ stick of butter and 3 tablespoons of vegetable stock.
- Secure the lid on the InstantPot and Steam for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes vent the InstantPot and remove the lid
- Add the remaining vegetable stock.
- Run 2 large cloves of garlic through a garlic press and add to the mixture.
- Using a blending stick puree the mixture until smooth.
- Press the Warm button and place the lid back on until ready to serve.
- Pan Roasted Sweet Corn
- Using a sharp chef's knife cut the kernels of sweet corn from two cobs of corn.
- Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a half-tablespoon of unsalted butter in a skillet over med-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the kernels of sweet corn.
- Stir the kernels constantly for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into a dish or bowl for later.
- Place a small skillet over med-high heat.
- When the oil is hot use a pair of kitchen shears and cut thin slices of pita bread into the skillet. Lightly brown pita strips, and sprinkle with sea salt. Remove pita croutons with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato + Roasted Sweet Corn Soup and top with pan-toasted pita bread croutons.
|Want to stay in the know? I’d really love that! (((HUGS)))|
|Like … on Facebook | Follow … on Pinterest | Follow … on Instagram | Follow … on Twitter|