Did you know that the rubber band has been around since 1845? True! Patented in England 173 years ago these little bands of rubber have a million and one uses. Of course, they can hold just about anything together but here are some of the absolute best hacks we found using rubber bands.
1. Rubber Band Hacks for Kidproofing
- Loop a rubber band around a door handle, twist once and loop it over the opposite door handle. The X can cross right over the latch to hold it in. This is nifty to keep doors from closing fully on small kids, or when you need to carry armfuls of groceries in a door that must stay “closed.”
- If you have cabinets with handles you can wrap thick rubber bands around handles for a quick childproofing method. It’s temporary at best, but can be nifty in a pinch or on vacation!
- You can also wrap a rubber band around the neck of a soap dispenser pump to limit the amount of soap that is released. This is great for those with small kids who go a little overboard with the soap.
2. Rubber Bands in the Kitchen
- Rubber bands can be handy in the kitchen too. Slice and apple and keep it from browning by holding it back together with a rubber band. Or secure plastic wrap around cut product to keep it fresh.
- You can also use them to keep cereal, sugar or other bags closed. Or around food storage containers to keep lids in place while traveling.
- Love your cutting board but it just won’t stay in place? Wrap a rubber band around each end and it’ll grip the countertop.
- Traveling with a crock pot or other lidded pan? Stretch rubber bands across the top of the lid to hold it in place while traveling.
- Did you run out of those cute drink charms? Using bigger glasses? Use different colored rubber bands to identify drinks!
- If you’re having trouble opening a lid a rubber band will give you extra grip, making it easier to turn.
3. Getting Creative with Rubber Bands
- It’s well known but a useful hack: Wrapping a rubber band around the paint can to wipe your brush on. It keeps the paint from flowing into the lid crevices.
- You can also pull a rubber band around the end of your fingernail to create the perfect edge for a French Manicure.
- Glue full and cut rubber bands to cardboard backing to create your very own stamps! How many designs can you create?
- Stretch rubber bands around a shoebox to create your very own musical instrument. Can the kids adjust the bands to get different tones?
- The same idea as above, except you put paper in the bottom of the shoe box. Coat each rubber band with different colored washable paint and let loose! Criss-cross the rubber bands to create fun splatter patterns!
- Use a rubber band as bookmark!
4. Closet Hacks with Rubber Bands
- Wrap a rubber band around each end of a hanger to keep your clothes from slipping off!
- Loop a rubber band over the bar of a hanger and pull it back through itself. Hang your scarves through the rubber band, one to each rubber band, for a compact and no-slip storage solution.
- Not ready for maternity jeans? Eat too much at Thanksgiving? Loop a rubber band around your jean’s button, through the buttonhole, and back around the button for a bit of extra room!
5. Use a rubber band to work that stripped screw out
- Place the flat side of a rubber band across the top of a stripped screw. Push the screwdriver in and turn! The rubber will grip the screw and you can remove it!
- Keep cables and unused power cables neat and organized wrapped up with rubber bands.
- Wish you could angle the flashlight just so? Grab your flashlight, a pair of pliers and a rubber band. Wrap the rubber band around the handles of the pliers and place the flashlight within the teeth of the pliers. Create an adjustable tripod with the pliers’ handles and back end of the flashlight. Adjust the angle of the light as needed!
There is a reason these little bands have been around for so long, they are incredibly useful! There really are a million and one different ways to use them. What’s your favorite hack?
If you would like more Hacks…check out our Life Hack Gallery!
Stay Up to Date with The Cottage Market by Joining our Mailing List!
|Want to stay in the know? I’d really love that! (((HUGS)))|
|Like … on Facebook | Follow … on Pinterest | Follow … on Instagram ||