Well my friends the Week of Summer in Jars continues…hope you have been enjoying our projects and all of my friends fun creations. Here’s another one for you. A perfect lunch or light dinner that is happy…healthy…yummy and easy to transport so you can take it to work with ease and then of course perfect for a picnic! Check out the recipe and then…check out what my friends have been up to!
This is such a fun way to pack a salad and it look fabulous. Just layer it up…screw on the top and you are good to go or of course…you can eat it right here and now! Great way to get a light dinner all ready to serve ahead of time so they are just waiting in the fridge…
then add some crunch Tostidos or maybe some warm tortillas!
Putting your Avocado Lime Creme and Salsa at the bottom keeps everything nice and crunchy and not soggy...
you can make them in larger wide mouth jars for a crowd…how great would that be for a picnic or barbecue that you are invited to…bet you will be the only one there with this yummy treat! It’s Fresh! It’s Healthy! It’s Yummy! It’s Vegetarian and can be Vegan if you just add avocado dressing instead of avocado creme. You are going to love these and love making them! I also love that the taco “meat” is made from PROTEIN PACKED Lentils!!! It is so easy to get your protein when you are a vegetarian…it really is so don’t ever let that stand in your way!!!
Let’s get to making these little cuties!
Vegetarian Taco In A Jar
1 cup of dry brown lentils
Salsa (bottled or fresh)
Juice of 1 lime
1 can of black beans rinsed and seasons
2 fresh ears of corn or 1 1/2 cups of defrosted frozen corn
4-6 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese grated
1/4 cup of Greek Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
3-4 cups of Vegetable Broth
Lettuce of choice
1-2 jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
8 scallions (greens and whites sliced thin)
1-2 tablespoons of taco seasoning or Mexican seasoning of choice
Hot Sauce of choice
4 Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars
1. First you will prepare your lentils. Saute your scallions in the tablespoon of hot olive oil for about 3 minutes and then add your 2 cloves of garlic minced or microplaned…stir for about a minute and then add your clean and washed cup of brown or green lentils and stir. Now add 3 cups of Vegetable Broth…bring to a boil and then down to simmer…add the taco seasoning…stir…cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until soft (add more broth if needed). Cool and get ready to layer.
2. Cut your avocado open…scoop out the green…place in a blender or food processor…add 1/4 cup of Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream6. …the juice of 1 full lime…a touch of salt and pepper and then puree.
3. Grate your cheese.
4. Shred your lettuce
5. Have the rest of the ingredients ready…it’s time to layer!
6. Layer 1/4th of your avocado creme at the bottom of your jar…then a splash of hot sauce…then your salsa homemade or fresh…spoon a 4th of your corn…then a 4th of your black beans…they your cheese…next you will add a nice helping of your lentil mixture (you will have some extra that you can use later)…then top with shredded lettuce. I also add some thinly slice jalapeno’s but for those of you that do not enjoy the heat…leave them out…you can add anything else you would like.
7. Now put the lid on and get it ready to go or to put it in the fridge! If I am eating it at home later…I like to dump it out in a bowl and top with some crunchy tostitos with extra hot sauce but you can eat it out of the jar also! I think you are going to enjoy it…it is so versatile and delicious!
Now it is time to visit my friends and see their creations!
The Country Chic Cottage, Yesterday On Tuesday
a little CLAIREification & Mad in Crafts