Morning to you all! Today I am going to be doing two posts for you…we are going to start with something yummy for Meatless Monday and then later I am going to have an update on the “Impossibilities” Challenge…so I hope you tune in for both…I didn’t want to let another week go by without sharing something yummy with you. This is one of my families favorites!
What’s on the menu today…
Falafel’s are yummy little chickpea based fritters all crispy golden brown on the outside and just the right softness inside…
the outside is actually very flaky and light…you can make the patties larger and use just them as the perfect veggie burger and add your favorite toppings!
just waiting to pop into a pita pocket or wrapped in a fabulous piece of flatbread…
you can also plate it up as a salad and serve it with some warm bread…
with the addition of some chopped tomatoes…lettuce…olives and some scrumptious Tzatziki Sauce you have a perfect dinner for the whole family.
This dish is simple and easy to make and I sure hope you give it a try! I make them in the shape of little patties but you can do them as little balls also…there is just no wrong way! I sure hope you enjoy them…they are tasty…extremely inexpensive to make and they keep in the fridge for up to 5 days! Enjoy…Bon Appetit
1 cup of dried chickpeas or
1 15 ounce can well rinsed
1/2 cup of finely sliced scallion greens and whites
3 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
2-5 crushed and chopped garlic cloves (It’s all up to you how much you and your family enjoy)
1 teaspoon of salt
some freshly cracked pepper
you can also add some dried hot crushed pepper if you like things spicy
(I actually love to add a few thai chillies but I love HOT food…maybe some of you do to)
1/2 – 1 teaspoon of cumin (my family is not a huge fan of cumin so I just use a pinch but it is a flavor than many enjoy!)
5 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
You will need canola oil for frying and then you can garnish to your hearts content…chopped tomatoes…lettuce…tahini sauce…a variety of olives…tzatziki sauce (recipe to follow)…some delicious feta cheese…the list is all about you and your families favorite things! A Middle Eastern Delight!
1. If you are using dried chickpeas…please place your dried beans in a glass bowl…cover with water… and let soak over night…
If you are using canned beans…open and rinse well.
2. Take out that food processor and get ready to place the chickpeas and scallions in…then add all the ingredients except the flour and baking powder and blend till everything is all mixed but not pureed.
3. Now add your flour and baking powder to the top of the mixture and just pulse until everything is combined. The mixture should not stick to your hands but be easy to form …so if you need to sprinkle with some extra flour have at it! Then place the mixture in a bowl…cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour and then it is time to make your patties or ball…the size being your choice.
4. After the mixture is formed it is time to fry in your canola oil until golden brown. You can also choose to deep fry or just fry in a generous amount of oil. They take about 3 minutes per side. When they are done…drain on paper towel and get ready to dress them up or just pop one in your mouth like I do!
would you like some
with that…so easy and so delicious!
I make it a little different…very healthy and extremely yummy!
1 16 ounce container of Greek Plain Yogurt (you choice of brands)
1 large English Cucumber peeled
2 cloves of finely crushed and chopped garlic (more or less according to your family taste)
1 tablespoon of finely sliced scallion greens
1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon of crushed dried dill
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon of freshly squeeze lemon juice
1. This is a step that is not a MUST but I really love to do. I place the yogurt into a cheesecloth lined strainer…place covered over a bowl and let it sit on the counter draining for a few hours…you will be amazed how much whey comes out and make the thick yogurt even thicker but it still works straight from the container.
2. Peel the cucumber and shred. Place it in a bowl sprinkled with salt and allow to sit for an hour and then squeeze all the liquid out of the cucumber.
3. Combine all your ingredients and then add to the yogurt…place in the fridge covered till ready to serve…it keeps for a week tightly covered.
You can have tons of fun with the thick yogurt…add your favorite seasonings and herbs and make your own yogurt cheese spread…great on crackers…bread or it make a fabulous vegetable dip! You are going to love it and use it over and over! Greek Yogurt is a healthy and tasty alternative to sour cream…give it a try…you just might love it!
Hope you enjoy every bite!
Take care now my friends…sending tons of
to all and I will see you later today with an UPDATE
hope to see you then