Well Monday morning has rolled around once again! Not to worry…I won’t make you think too much as you are about to get ready to do your start of the week thing…I actually have something quick and easy for you today and yummy too! It’s another chapter of
Corn Fritters and Tomato Jam
These little bites of joy are easy…inexpensive…light…satisfying and oh so yummy! Enjoy them with a salad for a quick and wonderful lunch or whip up a hearty salad for dinner. Of course the tomato jam is optional but if you have a little time to make it…you will not be sorry!
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 – 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup of whole milk
1 1/2 cups of corn kernels (I used fresh since it is corn season and Jersey corn rocks : ) but frozen or canned corn will work for you nicely.
1/4 cup of slice scallions
1/2 cups finely diced red peppers
1/2 cup of finely diced zucchini
(you can use any vegetable of your choice but just make sure that it is finely diced because the cooking time is very short)
Oil for cooking
1. Combine your flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
2. Whisk together your egg and milk in a small bowl.
3. Now stir in the wet ingredients to the dry until blended nicely (do not over work it). Now cover your bowl and set aside for about 20 minutes…the baking powder activates and it makes for a fluffy and tender fritter.
4. De-cob your corn, finely dice your vegetables while you are waiting.
5. Now fold your veggies into the batter.
6. Heat your oil in the pan…nice and hot…then add your dollops of batter (about 2 tablespoons each) with a little space between because they are going to grow a tiny bit. Now fry until golden brown (about 3 minutes a side but everyone’s stove is different…so keep a close eye on them so they do not burn).
7. As they are finished place them on a paper towel lined plate.
Serve with a salad…chutney…or….
If you have the time…this stuff is really tasty and you can take so many liberties with it for different flavors. This one that I made yesterday was so easy and it really only takes about 40 minutes of cooking time. All you need for the simple version is…
1 pound of ripe tomatoes chopped
3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of sliced scallions
1 clove of grated garlic
1/2 tsp of salt
1 jalapeno (optional)
Literally I put everything in a cast iron skillet…brought it to a rapid boil and then lowered the heat between low and medium…stirred very frequently. You will see the liquids coming out and then you will watch them evaporate until you have a thick and amazingly delicious jam. It is that simple!!!! This also works fabulously with green tomatoes also! Put your own slant on it…add some raisins…pine nuts…whatever you think will compliment the flavors. Once you try this you will make it over and over again!!!
It does keep in the fridge for a good week in a tightly sealed jar but you won’t have to worry about that…it will be gone way before its expiration date…I didn’t even have any left over!
Hope you enjoy!!!
my friends and I will see you tomorrow!
Thanks for dropping by!
If you have a moment…I would love for you to visit me on Facebook