Are you a lover of Sweet Tea? If your answer is yes…I do believe you are going to really enjoy This Strawberry Sweet Tea on a hot and sunny day. Many of you that are regulars here at The Cottage Market are probably saying what does this Jersey Girl know about Sweet Tea. Well you are kind of right since I drink my tea with no sugar and a twist of lemon but I have a lot of Southern friends that have told me of the glories of Sweet Tea! So I wanted to experiment and I do believe that they would love to serve this Strawberry Sweet Tea on their porches to family and friends! So I dedicate this Sweet Tea to all of my Southern Friends and thanks for the inspiration!
So we start with making our Strawberry Syrup. Strawberries are in season just about every where right now…so take advantage of the lower prices and treat yourself to some of this yummy syrup goodness…it has tons of uses!
1 pound of hulled and thinly slice strawberries
2 cups of sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons of freshly squeeze lemon juice
1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest
1. Combine your sugar, water and lemon juice in a medium sauce pan and mix till combined. Now over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off flame, mix your liquid and then add the sliced strawberries and lemon zest.
2. Now bring to a boil once again.
3. As soon as it boils, lower the flame to a simmer.
4. Stirring every minute or so, cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. Take the mixture off the stove and allow to cool.
6. Place the mixture into your blender glass.
7. Now blend till smooth
8. Place in a mason jar or any air tight container.
10. It’s ready to use!
(If you do not like the fruit mixed into your syrup…you can strain through a fine strainer. Then you can used the fruit as a jam…ice cream topping or even blend it into some softened cream cheese for a delicious spread!)
Now we make a simple sweet tea mixture. 1/2 Gallon.
I mix it in a 1/2 Mason Jar
1. Bring 1/2 gallon of water to a boil and pour over 9 regular tea bags and let steep for 3 minutes and then remove the tea bags to prevent a bitter tea. You can use any kind of tea you would like.
2. Now add a cup of the Strawberry Syrup while the tea is warm and stir well.
3. Add a few fresh strawberries and some lemon slices as garnish.
4. Fill a pitcher 1/2 way with ice and pour the Strawberry Sweet Tea over the rocks.
(Now if you are someone that likes it sweeter…add some extra sugar into the tea as it brews and of course if you need extra tartness…just add some more fresh lemon juice…it’s all about tailoring the drink to your tastes : )
You can use the Strawberry Syrup for so many things like adding it to milk for Strawberry Milk…add it to a milkshake…pour it on pancakes and waffles…a perfect topper for ice cream …fabulous for making Italian Soda’s…or maybe an ice cone…the list goes on. I adore it poured over a toasted piece of pound cake… let you imagination run wild and enjoy!
Hope this Jersey Girl did ok on the Sweet Tea! It is really yummy! Enjoy that strawberry syrup…the uses are endless.